Nothing gets your adrenaline pumping like action movies. You sit through as much story as you can take only because you know the payoff will be endless action sequences right until the end of the movie. These are the films that make you want to run out of the theater and try your luck at a high-speed chase or jumping out of an airplane to save the day. Thankfully, you come to your senses and realize that you’ll either end up in jail, in the hospital, or worse.
Action movies are perhaps the quintessential “suspension of disbelief” vehicles, the types of films that make you forget that what you’re watching isn’t really real. Regardless of the explosions, the ridiculous assault on the suspension of the protagonist’s car, or the uncanny way a six-shot revolver can shoot forever without a reload, 123movie action-packed cinema is hard to beat.
You do, however, tend to miss some details. In order to truly get a feel for how awesome your favorite action movie is, you’ll need to re-watch it. While you’re at it, here are nine other frenzied celluloid masterpieces that you must re-watch (because, of course, you’ve seen them all):
1. Enter the Dragon – Bruce Lee’s formal introduction to American audiences is a massive success, but unfortunately he passed away prior to its release. If there were ever a pivotal martial arts movie, it’s this one.
2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day – Sure, the first movie is a classic, but nothing came close to the otherworldly special effects & powerful story that this sequel brought to audiences. Not only do you feel a bit more hope for humanity, but you’ll never forget the T-1000.
3. The Matrix – This 1999 movie brought new meaning to what it means to be human. Moreover, no other movie made you want to wear black leather & sunglasses, have the coolest cellphones, or have a creepy hole at the back of your head so you can learn Kung-fu in seconds.
4. Raiders of the Last Ark – Indiana Jones makes his debut in this non-stop action movie. From credits to credits, you’re hard-pressed to find another movie more awesome about archaeology & treasure hunting than this.
5. First Blood – Rambo hits the screen & decides that others drew “first blood”, thereby calling into action the take-no-prisoners warrior inside. This movie takes on prejudices, stereotypes, and all that entails coming home for troops.
6. Face/Off – Yeah, they switch faces & have to become someone else. It’s not high-end cinema, but you will have a hard time not getting buck-wild while watching every action sequence this movie has to offer.
7. Point Break – Surfing, bank robbery, extreme sports a la X-Games, presidential Halloween masks, and even a cameo by Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers? This movie has it all.
8. Die Hard – Though often thought of as one of the true action movie masterpieces of all-time, it also has to be said (and worth re-watching) that is perhaps the most entertaining Christmas movie ever, with so much Yuletide craziness happening, your head will be spinning. Terrorism, a love story, the holidays, and a catch-phrase for the ages make this movie a “must”.
9. The French Connection – Arguably one of the top 5 action movies of all-time, this movie embodies the grittiness of 1970s detective work in the big city. International crime and intrigue, a mysterious French figure, a rough cop called Popeye, and easily one of the top 3 car chase scenes in any movie, The French Connection is undoubtedly a “must watch” film for the action movie buff, as well as the hardcore movie lover & the aspiring movie maker. This is how movies should be made.